[CT Birds] Bluebird Diet

recoverywing at cox.net recoverywing at cox.net
Tue Jun 12 11:03:57 EDT 2007

IME with bluebirds they can and do eat hulled sunflower during rainy, snowy or cold spells if there is no other available food. I have never seen them feed their young sunflower though, but they don't run out of mealworms here too often in the summer, because I am around all the time! In the winter if the mealworms run out I do see them take sunflower and eat pure beef suet.

If they are feeding the young sunflower you may want to consider giving them a helping hand and put out some mealworms. I have also see catbirds eating hulled sunflower and suet during rainy or cold spells and the robins did this March during that snowy period.

We only offer hulled sunflower here to make it available to all birds, instead of sunflower with shells that only seed crunching bills can open and utilize. Less messy too!

Jayne Amico/Southington

 Has anyone else witnessed this?