[CT Birds] Young People and Birds

Hilary Barth hilarybarth at mac.com
Tue Jun 12 23:00:14 EDT 2007

Hello everyone - after seeing the mention of the BioBlitz, this seems
like a good time to break silence and say hi, as I've been reading for
a few weeks. I qualify as a Gen-X birder, though I'm far from as
serious as most folks on this list (strictly backyard observation for
fun at this point). But I was more serious as a teenager, even to the
point of getting up every morning before dawn one summer at age 14. I
don't know anyone my age who's interested in birding, really.

But back to the BioBlitz: one of my students participated and really
loved it! I'm a faculty member at Wesleyan, and a student who's working
with me this summer ended up on the BioBlitz team and I think she may
have been hooked. I wish there were more chances for excursions like
that.

I have to say that I find the level of dedication on the list
intimidating! I've forgotten a lot of what I know (I'm always hearing
calls that I recognize but can no longer match to their corresponding
birds), and I never go out solely for birding purposes. I do love
observing all of the yard activity, though. Anyway, it's been nice to
read about your all of your birding adventures.

-Hilary