[CT Birds] If you're wondering where Robins are today....

Peregrine Information Consultants info at peregrineinfo.com
Wed Jun 13 10:54:04 EDT 2007

...they ALL seem to be feasting in the big, old mulberry tree in my backyard. This Red Mulberry is absolutely loaded with berries - the branches seem to be bursting. The robins are stuffing themselves and fighting over the best branches. As the berries ripen, the catbirds and orioles will come in, and some days the tree lights up like a living Christmas tree. Mourning doves are there, too, but I can't tell if they're eating the berries. The tree is large and aging, and I can tell it must be weakening because it also attracts many woodpeckers. The Red-Bellied Woodpecker was very busy there over the winter, working on one particular limb.

We have a young American Elm that overhangs the deck (it holds our suet and hummer feeders). Several weeks ago, it was loaded with seeds - so many! - and the Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks, Goldfinches, and grey squirrels had a feast for about a week. Home Depot is selling a new disease-resistant strain of American Elm, as part of an effort to reintroduce this native beauty. Story at USAToday:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/environment/2007-05-07-american-elm_N.htm

Yesterday a giant Red-Tailed Hawk bombed through my yard, grazed the feeder area, and disappeared...It all happened very fast, but I think the bird picked up a squirrel on the way through.

My 13-year old daughter watches a pair of RT Hawks that nest near her school; she sees them when she's at recess or on the playing fields. She has commented sadly that the other kids "just don't see the hawk" even when it swoops right over their heads...and when she points it out to them, they seem amazed...

Sarah

Sarah Hager Johnston, BMus, MLS
860-676-2228

Peregrine Information Consultants
www.peregrineinfo.com
Research and writing for insurance, risk management, safety & health, business, and medical professionals

Grace Notes
www.grace-notes.com
Program annotations, research, and writing services for classical musical ensembles and the professionals who serve them