[CT Birds] Evening Grosbeak & $.02

Sunshine sunny19682 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 13 19:16:55 EDT 2007

>>First let me say that I hope no one is intimidated about posting a
sighting
in this forum. There is no reason to feel that way.

I know I certainly am not afraid to make a mistake.  Whenever I feel
uncomfortable with an ID, I always ask for help and this list has been
another wonderful avenue to confirm an ID or get a correct one.  Since my
first thing to do is to try for a decent picture and take note of any
particular behaviors, which I can post later for help.  Certainly nobody has
made me feel bad on making a mistake and nobody should feel intimidated.
This list has proved to be one of the best I have ever been on!

I myself didn't get into keeping formal lists - my love was in taking
pictures and it was fun to go back through them to see how many birds
(mostly backyard visitors) that had come my way and were recorded via
photos.  In fact when my mom began working at the local Post Office and got
talking about birds and naming off several, a birding co-worker couldn't
believe her.  It was only when she brought in my photo album - arranged by
species - that he was impressed and convinced.  At that time, I had logged
51 species over a two year period - not too shabby for a novice and all back
yard birds.

Nowadays, I do keep a list via eBird - being able to record my findings adds
a little challenge for me to keep my eyes peeled for more species.  I find
myself probing what shows up more thoroughly than being just a casual
observer.

Donna Lorello
Branford