[CT Birds] Young People and Birds

Sunshine sunny19682 at comcast.net
Wed Jun 13 19:48:22 EDT 2007

I just read that in Milford, where I am currently serving as a student
teacher/intern, Nature's Classroom - a program where kids go for a week and
live "in the field" and learn - will not be happening again.

After reading all the posts of wonderful experiences some of you who run
programs have shared, I have to ask you of those events, how many of those
kids actually go away practicing more respect for the environment or were
they excited during the event only to forget what they learned a week later?
I don't mean to ruffle feathers, but I wonder just how much kids are
retaining and incorporating into their lives.  I don't expect every
individual to share exactly the same ideas as I do, but it would be nice to
see more individuals truly embrace the fact that we do share this planet
with a large diversity of inhabitants - plant and animal.  It is my hope
that a revolution of sorts will happen - that children and adults will again
find the love of just sitting outside on a sunny day, listening to the birds
sing, and forget about the PC video games and Ipods.  I personally can't
wait to read "Last Child in the Woods" because I saw a presentation done
during this year's Eaglefest and the things presented were alarming and sad.

Donna Lorello
Branford