[CT Birds] Common Birds in Decline in Connecticut

Ross Geredien/Good Migrations goodmigrations at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 13:38:08 EDT 2007

Patrick,

       I need to inquire here as to how these numbers were determined?  What data are they based on?  If we think about a 99% decline, that means that in 1967 there would have been 100 meadowlarks for every one that are in the state today.  And for every Baltimore Oriole in state today, five would have been present in 1967.  Have people who have been birding in the state since 1967 noticed whether such dramatic declines are in fact palpable?

Ross

"COMINS, Patrick" <PCOMINS at audubon.org> wrote:
  For some species this is a factor, but it also appears that the declines are tied most closely to places where the nesting habitat has taken the biggest hit. For example Prairie Warblers are still relatively common around powerline corridors and places like the Bent of the River that are managed for them. It is in the larger landscape, which is sampled by the randomly selected BBS route system. In a broader sense, the srubland and grassland birds are declining fastest in the Northeast, where the loss of habitat to succession and development are the greatest. I think the bottom line is that we need to be concerned about habitat in our own back yard as well as on the wintering grounds, wherever those may be. We also can't forget about migratory stopover habitats. It is really a tripod of nesting, wintering and stopover habitat that migratory birds depend upon. Nationally, one of the species in the top 20 list nationally winters (or at least used to winter) in huge numbers
 in Long Island Sound...Greater Scaup.

Patrick Comins