[CT Birds] Tricolored Heron - Derby

MARIA STOCKMAL m.stockmal at snet.net
Mon Aug 27 13:15:36 EDT 2007

In August I usually see good birds as they break up in their territories and start migrating. Today, I had two surprises. A Black Vulture was sitting on the railing where I will often find Turkey Vultures roosting and a Tricolored Heron at the confluence of the Naugatuck and Housatonic Rivers.

  I examined the heron and compared it with the Great Blue Heron, which I find there often, and found significant differences in the bill, head, chin, and throat. Also, this bird was smaller bodied than the elongated Great Blue Heron. The Tricolored Heron's back was to me but looked sideways for good looks and it flew as I got nearer and did not look but white but more like contrasting grays underneath. The lighting wasn't good.

  Other notables: Two Belted Kingfishers, American Redstart, Red-eyed and Warbling Vireos.

  Maria Stockmal
  Derby