[CT Birds] wolf/coyote 8/28

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 00:07:05 EDT 2007

First of all, a quick thanks to everyone who emailed me to assist with the
BP/BB warbler ID. I believe it was a BB warbler.

Secondly, with regard to coyotes or foxes, be aware that while you're
thinking they could be going for turkeys or mammalian prey, they can also be
scavengers at your bird feeders at home. My neighborhood has had a healthy
population of coyotes and red foxes for the past 16 years, as I'm sure most
of CT does now; perhaps because it is more urbanized in Stratford they are
seen more often here. But during the summer of 2006, on a bright and sunny
Saturday afternoon (with people going in and out of their homes a lot), I
saw a mangy and skinny coyote under my bird feeders eating the various seeds
and nuts there. There was obviously plenty other food to be had, and this
bold action must have been taken because he was severely diseased and/or
rabid. I scared him off with as much noise and movement as I could, and he
didn't return, but he wasn't very afraid of me. It's something I keep in
mind. In my experience and to my knowledge, a coyote would go after
anything, including any bird it can, dogs, cats, and people. They have
fought with dogs in our neighborhood before. Just be very cautious,
especially if you feed the birds.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT