[CT Birds] Peregrine question-

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Aug 31 07:52:19 EDT 2007

Hi Paul:
     That is certainly a valid point and to a degree, introduction of alien genotypes can hasten the extinction of a native population through genetic swamping.  This is something that is often encountered in plant conservation and why we had to pull out a bunch of Purple Milkweed that we had planted at the Bent of the River.  We had a native population and found out that the seed we had purchased was gathered from Midwestern plants.  If we had kept the introduced plants, there was a risk of cross pollination and pollution of the native genotype of a very rare plant.  A similar situation may have also played a role in the declines of Northern Bobwhite in our area, since stocked birds are often of southern origin and many believe that contributed to the decline of our native cold-hardy stock.

      A third similar situation and perhaps the most applicable here, is the one with the reintroduction of American Chestnut through insertion of disease tolerant genotypes of alien origin and backcrossing them with semi-resistant native specimens.  I have asked if the new chestnuts would be American Chestnut at all if they are x % Chinese Chestnut or some other species of chestnut.  The answer I have been given is that we will never have our pure American Chestnut back and that if we can have something that is mostly American Chestnut, it will at least provide the function that the trees that once dominated parts of our landscape did.  They also note that even without the blight, there would have been hybridization and gene pollution going on because planting of the exotic types and natural cross pollination would still be widespread.   We live in a landscape that is far from pristine.   Perhaps this might have also been the case with peregrines, if there was a certain percentage of escaped or released birds to mingle with the wild population, especially at the low levels that remained at the population minimum.  Perhaps if we wanted the restoration of our pure eastern race, we would have been out of luck and would not be peregrineless aside from Arctic migrants.    We will never know at this point though, since the tiger is out of the bag, so we will just have to sit back and enjoy these beautiful predators.

Patrick Comins, Meriden