[CT Birds] Peregrines and Coyotes Oh My

Kathy Van Der Aue kvda at optonline.net
Fri Aug 31 11:36:54 EDT 2007

I have enjoyed reading all the comments on peregrines and have learned a lot
about the extinct Eastern race.  I recommend a book by James T. Harris "The
Peregrine Falcon in Greenland", University of Missouri Press, 1979 which is
a scientific but descriptive account of the author's summer in Greenland
researching the peregrine falcons there.  He states (p.45):
"Some races of the peregrine still reproduce as they have always done but
the once far-ranging anatum peregrines have disappeared almost entirely, the
populations of F.p. peregrinus are shattered and weak while the tundra
peregrines are contaminated with pesticides and reproductive failures have
been discovered in parts of their range.  Despite the visual similarity of
one peregrine to another, the surviving races do not replicate the genetic
makeup of a sister race that has vanished."
Of course his work was in 1972 and, thank goodness, we have made some
progress, but as to the question posed by Dennis, "Do races really matter?"
My opinion on that is that we lose biological diversity on this planet every
day.  Who are we to say that one race is superior to another (including the
human race)?  Preservation of diverse native populations enriches us all,
whether we appreciate it or not.  One of the most thrilling moments on our
recent trip to Siberia was watching a peregrine in a stoop, capturing a snow
bunting.  I love to think that future generations will also see this sight.

Kathy Van Der Aue, Southport, CT
kvda at optonline.net