[CT Birds] Bluff Point 9/1

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 1 16:51:52 EDT 2007

from Glenn Williams, Phil Rusch, and Fred Norton:
9/1 - Groton, Bluff Point, 0615-0945 hrs -- ~700
warblers of 9 species, 14 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, 1
PURPLE FINCH, 1 BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO, 1 CUCKOO SP., 6
RUSTY BLACKBIRDS, 5 YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHERS

90-95% of the warblers going through the hot corner
were American Redstarts.  The percent of non-redstarts
went up when we walked into the woods at 0800 hrs.
Many birds were exiting in a broader front and not
coming through the hot corner, so numbers and variety
were probably higher than we could account for.

In addition to the notables above:

American Redstart - 600+
Black-throated Blue Warbler - 2
Canada Warbler - 3-4
Black-and-white Warbler - 6
Black-throated Green Warbler - 6
Magnolia Warbler - 1-2
Northern Parula - 5+
Northern Waterthrush - 1
Common Yellowthroat - 1 probable resident

We missed many, of course - thought we had an
oporornis, Blackpolls, and Prairie among the misses.

Scarlet Tanager - 15
Baltimore Oriole - 7
Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 3
Brown Thrasher - 2 (resident)