[CT Birds] Re good birds & high numbers

David.F.Provencher at dom.com David.F.Provencher at dom.com
Mon Oct 1 14:36:22 EDT 2007

Unfortunately I was unable to get into the field this weekend but I saw
evidence of significant migratory movement both mornings and yet again this
morning. There were still a lot of Blackpolls going by my place in Norwich
but Yellow-rumped Warblers are definitely starting to show up in numbers,
as one would expect. The very end of September and the beginning of October
marks the start of big sparrow movements such as Dave, Paul, and Jim
reported. The month of October can be great for sparrow diversity and weedy
fields and community gardens (as Greg Hanisek wrote earlier) can be great
places to study these species. Some of the rare/uncommon sparrows to watch
for this month are Clay-colored, Vesper, Lark, Nelson's Sharp-tailed, and
White-crowned. The earliest Laplong Longspurs can also show up this month
and beach vegetation can actually be a good place to find the vanguard
individuals of this species. Even more rare possibilities include Le
Conte's, Henslow's, Lark Bunting, Smith's Longspur, and others. November
can also be good month for rare/uncommon sparrows. So the warblers are
clearing out and the sparrows are moving in. There was a White-crowned
Sparrow signing partial phrases on Millstone Point this morning.

Dave

recipient, any disclosure,  copying, distribution, or use of the
you have received this electronic  transmission in error, please
in error, and delete it.  Thank you.