[CT Birds] Refuge Geography

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Mon Oct 1 19:07:04 EDT 2007

Hi Folks

I recieved several thoughtfull comments about the geography of the
refuge areas. One problem that stands out is that the area is in
transition. What I called “Pools”The Fish and Wildlife Service calls
restoration areas. Because these areas are newly created they are in
the process of succession. When freshly dug, they fill with water at
high tide and do form pools. However, after several years they will
grass in forming marshes.  The “Railroad Pool” is well on its way.
Also, I failed to mention another pond at the end of and to the west
of the railroad tracks.

In mulling over what to do about the situation, trying to make names
accurate and usefull. This is what I came up with.

We just call each area a Section and use the FWS numbers. But. I
would make 5 sections not 4.

Section 1 Lordship Blvd.
It is seen off Lordship Blvd. It is just past the intersection  with
Access Rd. on the right.

Section 2 Railroad Tracks South
Go out the railroad tracks from Long Beach Blvd. to the south and it
is the area on the left.

Section 3 South Side
To reach it go  past the Refuge Pond and make a left on the end, then
another left (like a big U-Turn) and the trail will lead you to
another pool. It is "off limits."

Section 4 West Side
At the end of Long Beach Blvd. you make a right behind the warehouses
and on the corner to the left is another restoration pool this was
created last year. i would also includ the patch of wood between the
Refuge Pond and the retoration pool.

Section 5 Railroad Tracks North
This may or may not be part of the refuge, but I found it interesting
in the past. From Long Beach Blvd. walk the railroad tracks north.
Where the tracks bend to the east towards Lordship Blvd. are a couple
of small pools and trees which I suspect may have nesting herons. The
area can also be seen from the dirt pile to the east of the last
warehouse.

Refuge Pond
This is the large pond directly at the end of Long Beach Blvd. and is
the site of nesting Pied-billed Grebes,

South Pond
This pond is found by going south along the railroad tracks to the
end and following the trail to the right. One will see an
observantion blind overlooking the pond. I felt using the the term
“Blind Pond” a little silly.

I hope this makes sense to everyone and that people will start using
the system for the benefit of the future.

Dennis Varza