[CT Birds] extralimital f-t fly and local Nelson's

Edward James Raynor edward.raynor at maine.edu
Thu Oct 4 10:24:55 EDT 2007

Hello Frank and all,
I believe the Fork-tailed Flycatcher in Cutler, Maine is unconfirmed
as of now. Although, a verifiable Gray Kingbird was discovered at
Moosehorn NWR in Calais, ME on 10/3!

On a local note and much expected sighting; I found at least 4
Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrows among 16 Sharp-tailed Sparrows in the
spartina at the east end of the Sherwood Island State Park's model
airplane field. I believe they were members of the "subvirgatus"
subspecies due to the presence of a grayish mantle. According to my
records, this site is reliable for this species during October,
especially the first week.

Good birding,
E.J. Raynor
www.pbase.com/ether9