[CT Birds] ID needed

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 7 13:54:43 EDT 2007

Donna's photos are a nice tutorial on Common Raven for those who are trying to figure out how to ID this species, which now can show up anywhere in Conn. Key things to note are the tapered wings (almost always visible); wedge-shaped tail (not always visible); and the subjective items - large size and large, heavy bill. Of course the croaking voice, unlike any crow, may be what first darws attention.

  Greg Hanisek

Sunshine <sunny19682 at comcast.net> wrote:
  Hi all

I was down at Branford Center Cemetery today and caught sight of several
American Crows hassling two larger birds. Here's the challenge - my
pictures are just horrible due to my poor camera in need of professional
cleaning and the sun was coming right in my face. Birds seen were much
larger than the Am. Crows - perhaps Buteo sized and all dark/black. I think
they were Common Ravens. The other thing I noticed was a deep almost
guttural clucking sound coming from these 'new birds'.

Pictures are here http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/560965568XuCwmV under
unknown bird. I hope the link works.

Other birds seen there: 5 American Crows, 1 Belted Kingfisher, 2 Herring
Gulls, and common birds - blue jays, grackles, robins, English Sparrows

Donna Lorello

Branford