[CT Birds] Birding Optics

Clay Taylor ctaylor at att.net
Tue Oct 30 13:30:40 EDT 2007

Tom -

The optics of a Questar scope continue to be spectacular - the price is
pretty spectacular, too.    The big problems that Q faces when compared to
top-shelf spotting scopes are -

1) not rugged / waterproof
2) larger / bulkier than a top-shelf spotter, at 3 lbs. not too heavy, but
very nose-heavy balance to deal with on the tripod head.
3) Reversed image is a pain when trying to follow moving subjects
4) Proprietary eyepieces limit your choices of magnification (unless there
is an adapter I don't know about that allows you to use other brand
eyepieces). The scope does "flip" between two different magnifications when
viewing through the eyepiece, but they choose the magnifications, not you.
5) I don't know if there is a zoom eyepiece available - I haven't heard of
one.

With the current crop of HD / ED / FL Spotters, the optics are FAR better
than they were just a decade ago (mostly due to better coatings).    In many
cases, the limit of detail is defined by the quality of the atmosphere
between you and the subject (heat shimmer, dust, moisture, etc.), not the
scope.    At that point, the quality of the scope becomes less important.

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT
ctaylor at att.net