[CT Birds] Scopes?

Jim Zipp jimzipp at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 1 14:25:50 EDT 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Clay Taylor <ctaylor at att.net>

I am not sure what the 18-38x scope was, or its price tag, but I
 suspect
that it is a low to mid-priced scope.

Clay, and Grace,
   Not sure what the 18-38x is myself but I'm sure Grace will chime in and let us know.  Most scopes today are either 15x-45x or 20x-60x and have either 65mm or 80mm front objectives.  Along with Clay's expert advice it's good to keep in mind that those numbers are only the specs and one can find 10 scopes with the same numbers that are completely different in quality.  65mm scopes have gained favor with many birders but for those that would like to Digiscope with them lean toward the 80mm models for their superior light gathering ability. Best advice is try others scopes if that is convenient or at least take one you are looking at outside and play with it for a while before making a decision.

Jim

The Fat Robin Wild Bird and Nature Shop
www.fatrobin.com
Jim Zipp Bird Photography