[CT Birds] Nettleton Creek

charsjs at sbcglobal.net charsjs at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 3 11:56:31 EDT 2007

>From Steve Spector: Re. Nettleton Creek in Silver Sands: Nettleton Creek runs parallel to and just east of  the now defunct Nettleton Ave, which forms the eastern boundary of the park.  The other creeks in the park are Fletcher's Creek (between Nettleton Creek and the tombolo [sandbar]) and Great Creek (it drains into the Sound at the east end of the boardwalk, near E. Broadway).  Here's a link to a map of Silver Sands.  http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/stateparks/maps/silv.pdf
  To get to Nettleton Creek you can park at the end of the road that fronts the Heritage Sound condos (part of the parking for Walnut Beach) & walk east; or park in the main parking area and walk west from the tombolo.  The Snow Buntings are usually foraging on the beach near Nettleton Creek.  By he way, plans to extend the boardwalk in Silver Sands from its current location all the way to Walnut Beach have been temporarily halted because the Piping Plovers successfully nested near Nettelton Creek.  The DEP should also know that this stretch of beach is used every winter by Snow Buntings, Horned Larks, and occasional Lapland Longspurs.  The woods in front of the Heritage Sound Condos have in the past been roosting places for many wintering birds, esp a variety of owls.  I'm not certain if the DEP has studied the impact of a boardwalk on these birds.