[CT Birds] Sunday Southport

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Mon Nov 26 15:38:29 EST 2007

Hi Folks

After thinking about the last report from Southport, I think I got
carried away with all the data. I am a data junkie and a lot of the
information I gather is only of interest in large chunks. So this
time I’ll just give the “Big Picture”

25 Nov 07
Mid-tide Rising, rocks of Sunken Island exposed waves breaking over
spine. Sky was clear, Water calm. 7:05 - 8:35 Sunken Island, Pine
Creak Beach, Sasco Beach, Southport Harbor, and Southport Beach.

	11/11	11/25
Canada Goose    	80	220
American Black Duck	14	10
Mallard	                -	14
Surf Scoter        	2	1
Oldsquaw            	-	4
Bufflehead            	2	15
Red-breasted Merganser     	8	32
Hooded Merganser              	12	12
Red-throated Loon             	-	3
Common Loon                     	8	2
Double-creasted Cormorant	17	2
Great Cormorant	6	5
Great Blue Heron	2	-
Great Egret        	-	1
Ruddy Turnstone	-	1
Greater Yellowlegs	2	-
Laughing Gull      	14	-
Bonaparte’s Gull  	-	3
Ring-billed Gull    	56	48
Herring Gull        	48	41
Great Black-backed Gull	5	4

Surf Scoter has been regular here this fall, In the past White-winged
Scoters were the regular ones. Ducks continue to increase. Double-
creasted Cormorants are now local mostly immatures in sheltered
water. The Great Cormorant is now the standard Cormorant. The Great
Egret at Southport was a late find for the area. Laughing Gulls are
now gone. The three Bonaparte’s Gulls were feeding off shore.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield