[CT Birds] melanistic pheasant (Brian Kleinman)

Barclay, John john.barclay at uconn.edu
Fri Nov 30 10:06:34 EST 2007

Brian,

At least one Ring-neck pheasant producer in CT receives chicks to raise
each spring which include a number (possibly 1%)of apparently melanistic
pheasants (they may not be Ring-necks per se)which are released as fully
grown birds in the autumn into natural habitats along with the regular
variety. I am not familiar with the source(s) or genetics of the birds
per se.

Jack Barclay