[CT Birds] Last Offical Day at Lighthouse and more

Dana Campbell mother-dana at juno.com
Sat Dec 1 11:26:37 EST 2007

>From Dana Campbell, Lynn James, Greg Hanisek, Bill Banks, Dori Sosensky, Don Morgan, Marty Moore, and Judy Moore:
11/30 - New Haven - Lighthouse Point Park Hawkwatch
33 raptors, including:  2 Northern Harriers, 3 Sharp-shinned Hawks, 8 Cooper's Hawks, 11 Red-tailed Hawks, 1 Red-shouldered Hawk, 6 Merlins, 1 Peregrine Falcon, and one UR.  We noted a distinct increase in the number of birds during the hour when seafood pizza was being consumed.  Must have been the extra garlic that attracted them in.
Also:  137 Blackbirds, 261 Robins, 328 American Goldfinch, 365 Unidentified Finches, 35 Purple Finches, 14 House Finches, 1 Pipit, 2 Rusty Blackbirds, 23 migrating Blue Jays, 398 Cedar Waxwings, 20 Cowbirds,  1 Red-throated Loon flyover, 1 Yellowlegs flyover, and in the park Eastern Towhee, Red-breasted Nuthatches, American Tree Sparrow, 35 Monk Parakeets, and a Great Blue Heron perched in the Flicker Tree.
>From Dana Campbell, Lynn James, and Don Morgan:
11/30 - New Haven - East Shore Park - 4 NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS, 3 RED CROSSBILLS (including both male and female), YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, and a probable immature Northern Goshawk.
Greg and Bill reported having seen a Bald Eagle, a Northern Goshawk, and several Red-tails earlier at East Shore Park.  None of those birds had been seen at that time at the Hawkwatch.

Dana Campbell
Missioner, The Greater Hartford Regional Ministry
mother-dana at juno.com  (860) 568-5670
"For God does not look down on anything that is made."
                                 -- Julian of Norwich