[CT Birds] western flycatcher

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun Dec 2 18:10:10 EST 2007

Carl,

> I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I would like an
> explanation as to how the "western flycatcher" could be accepted as
> a CT bird if there is really not a western flycatcher, it having
> been split into the Pacific slope and, cordilleran flycatchers.

I see no reason why it could not be accepted for the state list as
Western Flycatcher, species uncertain.  That is an accurate
description of the situation.  The state record committee deals with
trying to keep an accurate record of what is found here, and (if
accepted as being a Western) recording it as such makes sense.

Note that for the purpose of "competative" birding - a separate issue
not strictly related to the records committee - it is perfectly
normal to count such indeterminate identifications.  Bird a big day
for example and see a thrush that you are certain is either
Gray-cheeked or Bicknell's, but are not certain which, and it is
countable as such.  But if later in the day you get one you are
certain is a Gray-cheeked you can't count both, just one.  On my own
life list I count a Gray-cheeked type as a species even though the
exact species is unknown.  But if I ever get one or the other for
certain it will not raise my life list count.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT