[CT Birds] Western Fly vocalizations and sexing

julian hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Tue Dec 4 13:02:05 EST 2007

Here is Chris Benesh's personal reply to me regarding Western fly calls:

  Hi Julian,

The high "seet" note means that it was either one of the Western
forms, but both species give the call.  If by chance, the call was
recorded, it could be useful since I think that the call it ever so
slightly lower pitched in Cordilleran.  There is a guy named Arch
McCallum who has done some great stuff with Empids.  Here is his
Western Flycatcher site:
http://www.appliedbioacoustics.com/research/wefl/

Check out the female position note comparison, which is what you're
hearing with a high "seet" call:
http://www.appliedbioacoustics.com/research/wefl/frameindex.html

Chris