[CT Birds] House Wren in Wallingford

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 11:22:44 EST 2007

Not a big deal 7 months of the year, but a House Wren is always a nice find in December. I had one this morning at Veterans Park in Wallingford, which is just east of I-91 on E. Center St. off Exit 14.

  The park has a community garden. I (and others) have mentioned in the past that these gardens are great birding spots in fall and winter (note Harris Sparrow in Allens Meadow community garden not too long ago).

  The wren was near a little stream behind the garden, which was filled with sparrows including 3 or 4 Field Sparrows. Also in the general area, over toward Mackenzie Res., were a couple of N. Harriers and a male Am. Kestrel.

  From Greg Hanisek

  11/5 Wallingford, Veterans Park - HOUSE WREN (rare in winter);
  Mackenzie Reservoir - AM. KESTREL