[CT Birds] Hammo-crossbill, East Shore Park

Sailcarm at aol.com Sailcarm at aol.com
Wed Dec 5 18:23:28 EST 2007

11/5 -   4:00 PM -- 1 RED CROSSBILL (f.) at Hammonassett, in the row of pines
located between the two picnic pavillions on the ocean side of the West Beach
parking lot.  There may have been one or two more, as two other birds flew
into the same pine tree at the same time, but the light was fading very fast and
I only had time and enough light to ID one.   This was a life bird for me so
I thoroughly savored the full three minutes that  I was able to observe him,
oops, her posing while dining on pine cone seeds.

East Shore Park -- 12PM - 2PM: I had never been here before, so thanks to all
of you who have shared tips about what you were seeing and where to go.  Even
though I did not see any crossbills here I did enjoy seeing the following
birds:

2 BROWN CREEPERS,  1 ruby-crowned kinglet, at least 5  RED-BREASTED
NUTHATCHES, 1 red-tailed hawk, 1 sharp-shinned hawk, 5 brant geese

Carolyn Cimino
Waterford