[CT Birds] Chester, 12/24: broad-winged hawk, coyote

Tammy Eustis teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Mon Dec 24 19:12:11 EST 2007

Chester, 12/24: A single BROAD-WINGED HAWK circled the yard and landed in our woods this afternoon. If it has a taste for blue jays, it's more than welcome to them. We have upwards of 13 jays that have taken over our feeders during the past week - they clean out the sunflower, suet, and mealworm feeder every day, leaving little to nothing for the smaller birds. I resist the urge to shoo them away, since we do have a healthy hawk population.
Side note: a close run-in with a coyote this morning, on Wig Hill Road. It was in the yard of a house I'm sitting for, no more than 20 feet away when I stumbled on it. The family's dog (a border terrier) chased it through the woods, with me hollering in close pursuit. Fortunately, the 'yote made a full escape, and the dog didn't pursue it too far. Here's hoping for a less eventful Christmas Day!
- Tammy Eustis, Chester