[CT Birds] Ashford Northern Shrike

Steve Morytko smorytko at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 26 19:39:19 EST 2007

 From Steve Morytko:
12/26 - Ashford, Wormwood Hill Rd., just north of Leander Pond near the intersection with Varga Rd. -- immature Northern Shrike.
        Ashford (our) yard, 288 Varga Rd. -- adult Red-headed Woodpecker

On a short walk from our home today south on Wormwood Hill Rd. today we saw in the yard the "resident" Red-headed Woodpecker
followed shortly thereafter by an immature Northern Shrike working the multiflora rose in the cornfield edge 100 yards from
Varga Road. Farther south, after the farm at the Mansfield town line (where Knowlton Pond is just off the road), a female
Pileated Woodpecker crossed the road and a second Pileated Woodpecker was heard in the woods.

There were 80+ Horned Lark in the fields on Horsebarn Hill at UConn in Storrs. Finally, there was a lingering female Purple Finch
eating crabapple at the intersection of Marsh Rd. and Daleville Rd. in Willington.

Steve
Steve Morytko

288 Varga Rd.
Ashford, CT 06278 USA