[CT Birds] Pine grosbeaks

Larry Nichols lvn600 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 27 13:08:49 EST 2007

>From Larry Nichols:
12/27/07-Norfolk-Shepard Road-Pine Grosbeaks
I arrived at the senior housing area in Norfolk at 9am. There was no sign of the Pine Grosbeaks until about 9:30 am when I began to hear them in the area. I saw them start to gather on top of the tall bare trees across the street in front of the Norfolk Lions Club Ambulance building at 9:40. They started feeding on the crab apples from the tree in front of the ambulance building at 9:50 a.m. The grosbeaks occasionally flew off when spooked by passing trucks but were still there when I left at 11am.The most I was able to count at one time was 17-(includes male and female )- but I think there was probably a few more. Some Cedar Waxwings joined them for a few seconds , but I didn't notice any Bohemian Waxwings. There's still fruit on 3 of the trees at the senior entrance and plenty on the one in front of the ambulance building.