[CT Birds] Habitat Photos

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Thu Dec 27 16:33:25 EST 2007

Hi Folks

Since moving back to Connecticut I have been struggling with
photographing habitats. When I set up some inland survey routs, I
photographed them and created albums. These photos would document the
habitat covered and supplement the field notes.

With the advent of digital cameras things have become easier and more
difficult. With a digital camera photos have not cost until they are
printed. With negatives it is easier to catalog rolls of films.
Digital photographs are isolated and more difficult to catalog and
store.

I finally came up with a workable solution. Starting with an
inexpensive digital camera (A decent one can be had for about $100)
and a large memory card, I turn on the date and time imprinting.  I
take several photo each time I go out. Being on the shore, I try to
include weather, water conditions and tide. I also take photos of
roosting and feeding gulls, flocks of ducks etc. On my Southport
Survey I always start with a photo of the sunken Island area showing
tide, cloud cover and waves. Inland one may want to record nesting
habitat, old fields to be housing developments or show successional
changes etc. One may want to photograph the trees the Pine Grosbeaks
were found in. I have photos of a Bank Swallow nest site which has
since been  excavated.

At the end of the month, I transfer the photos to a CD and catalog
them. This is where date and time imprinting is invaluable. In my
field notes I list the photos I have for that day. These photos add
one more facet to the field notes and make them even more useful in
the future.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield