[CT Birds] Greenwich Point

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Fri Dec 28 06:24:01 EST 2007

Jim et al,
Greenwich Point is a fantastic birding site with its many varied habitats, and is my "backyard" for birding and other activities.  For the CBC, we sighted almost 70 species there.
We have a bird walk program known as "First Sundays".  We go out on the first Sunday of every month, year round with experienced and knowledgeable birders as guides.
Everyone is welcome - beginners, experts, all ages.  We meet at 9:00 a.m. at the second concession.  We always have a jolly good time with terrific birds.  Join us on Jan. 6.
The point is open to non-residents until May.

The shorebirds you sighted were likely Ruddy Turnstones - we had about 50 for CBC.  Black-bellied Plovers are often sighted with the turnstones.

Still waiting for a King Eider at the point which isn't far at all from Shippan Pt. in Stamford!

Great birding to all,
Meredith Sampson
Old Greenwich

-- Jim Voros <voros at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Greenwich Point 9-10:30 . Common Loon in winter plumage.    What a difference from normal.  I'm not used to seeing them like this.  Bill was long and straight, greyish/black with the throat being all white all the way into the water.  Back was grey.

 Others seen:
 Many Goldeneye, Many Bufflehead, hooded merganser, great blue heron, black backed gull, 3 long tailed ducks also in full winter plumage which was cool to see, monk parakeet, white throats, downy, and the other usual suspects. Also an unidentifed flock of 30 or so sandpipers flew past me, all I got from them was a white horizontal bar across their wings about mid-wing and a lot of white on their tails.  Didn't get a good look at them because I was concentrating on the long tails.

 Lots to see. If you havent been to Greenwich Point, its open to non-residents this time of year and its worth the trip.

Orchard Bank MasterCard
Get your credit on track with an Orchard Bank MasterCard