[CT Birds] CTBirds house finch eye disease

Katz1449 at aol.com Katz1449 at aol.com
Sat Dec 29 14:07:55 EST 2007

>From Bev Propen  12/29

I have been participating in the Cornell house finch eye  disease survey for
almost 10 yrs.  The  sneezing, and swollen, oozy,  crusty and sometimes sealed
shut eyes are the outer manifestation of a systemic  disease for the finches.
 Over the years, I have had 1 or 2 at a time at my  feeders and I was told to
clean the feeders thoroughly with hot water and  bleach, at least weekly to
prevent the spread of the disease.  The other  day I had 3 sick house finches
in one morning which was the highest count I  have had.  I did bleach the
feeders and clean them thoroughly.
A few  years ago I did catch one finch which apparently  was totally blind in
one eye, so I was able to sneak up on it and caught it in a  net.
I brought it over to the Ansonia Nature Center because they  told me they
will treat the finch with antibiotics.  I called them several  times to check on
its progress and I was told that the finch recuperated  and they released it.
I have read mixed reports on "curing" the finches.   One report said that if
they are cured, they remain carriers of the  disease.  Another report I read
said that if they are cured, that they  cannot spread the disease any further.
I just felt good that at least one of them was rehabilitated  and released.
I don't know if there is any more recent research into the  disease and if it
can be cured.