[CT Birds] Juxtaposition plus

ORCHIDS bulbophyllum at charter.net
Sat Dec 29 21:40:31 EST 2007

Several weeks ago someone posted an question about the juxtaposition
of birds.  Two such events dawned upon me.

Newburyport, MA 1975 - Ross's Gull, Little Gull, Black-headed gull,
snowy owl, barrow's goldeneye, and tufted duck.  But how often can one
view at the same time in your binoculars ross's, little and black-
headed gulls in flight?

My best leader report as a field trip for a Long Island Audubon Club
was Montauk Point in October (circa 1973) - Dovekie, Western Kingbird,
Snowy Owl and American Eagle.

So here is the question for the Digest participantst:  what is your
most phenomenal  birding observation?

1975 Loxahatachee, Florida - 25+ Everglades Kites

Circa 1974 (not in the Birds of NY by Bull but undoubtedly reported by
my mentor Dennis Puleston) - Montauk Point.  January - did our usual
loop to the north of Montauk Point in search of seabirds upon
returning to the Point and in search of Kittiwakes, someone spotted
one bird BUT for the next 10 minutes we stood in awe of a wave of
kittiwakes flying north to south - I think the estimate was 10000 birds!

If you have never been to Montauk Point - this is a phenomenal place
to visit in the winter - this is the point of land that projects the
furthest into the Atlantic Ocean - there are amazing concentrations of
winter ducks here - eiders, scoters, the tides create tremendous
currents around the point and thus creates large loops of duck
returning upcurrent to drift for food.

Heading to my night surfing spot at Napatree Beach, Rhode Island in
the fall (late 1990's), I spotted what I thought were hundred of Night
Hawks - alas it was just Gulls - but they were feeding on Flying
Ants!  Have heard of similar reports from the South Shore of Long
Island in the 1980's!

I would be interested to hear of those amazing bird reports.

Ron Rozsa, Ashford, CT