[CT Birds] Question on Finch Eye Disease?

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Sun Dec 30 05:51:41 EST 2007

I echo what Jayne has said, and would like to add that I, too,
would be willing to take in any birds found with this infection.
I'm in the southwestern part of CT in Fairfield County.
It's best to call rather than email, as I check emails only once
a day.  Call me at: 203-637-9822.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of cleaning/disinfecting
 feeders, bird baths, and removing ground debris at least once a week.
If you have extra feeders, rotate them.

Wishing all great birding for 2008.
A great new year's resolution:  save, restore, create a habitat for wildlife.

Meredith Sampson
WILD WINGS, INC.
Old Greenwich

-- <recoverywing at cox.net> wrote:
What you are seeing is actually a bacterial infection that results in conjunctivitis. The birds are quite sick and will eventually not be able to see to find food and water and will die.  It is highly contagious to other birds.

However, this disease is easily treated and since most birds can be caught every attempt should be made to do so. Removing the sick birds, cleaning and disinfecting the feeders and bird baths, removing any debris on the ground will significantly reduce the occurance.

I would be happy to take any bird you catch.

Anyone with a sick or injured bird please note my contact number is 860-276-8433  Please call verses email as phone messages are checked often , email is not.

Happy New Year!

Jayne Amico/Southington

www.therecoverywing.org