[CT Birds] 133 species

Jim Voros voros at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 7 08:34:50 EST 2008

We had Ruddy Turnstones yesterday at Greenwich Point and Red Wing Blackbird at Cove last Saturday.  We had a Winter Wren on the CBC but that was 2007.

David Provencher <davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net> wrote:  Updated with Adrian & Beth Nichols Short-eared Owl:

133 species reported in CT so far for 2008. Some missing species that are
certainly in CT but not actually reported yet this year (unless I missed
it, a real possibility) include; King Eider, Northern Harrier, Ruddy
Turnstone, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Winter Wren, and Eastern Meadowlark. Oh
ya, there is no doubt that somewhere in CT there are more Bohemian Waxwings!

Dave

Greater White-fronted Goose

Brant

Canada Goose

Mute Swan

Gadwall

Eurasian Wigeon

American Wigeon

American Black Duck

Mallard

Northern Pintail

Green-winged Teal

Canvasback

Redhead

Ring-necked Duck

Greater Scaup

Lesser Scaup

Common Eider

Surf Scoter

White-winged Scoter

Long-tailed Duck

Bufflehead

Common Goldeneye

Hooded Merganser

Common Merganser

Red-breasted Merganser

Ruddy Duck

Ring-necked Pheasant

Red-throated Loon

Common Loon

Pied-billed Grebe

Horned Grebe

Red-necked Grebe

Double-crested Cormorant

Great Cormorant

American Bittern

Great Blue Heron

Black Vulture

Turkey Vulture

Bald Eagle

Sharp-shinned Hawk

Cooper's Hawk

Northern Goshawk

Red-shouldered Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk

Rough-legged Hawk

American Kestrel

Merlin

Peregrine Falcon

American Coot

Black-bellied Plover

Greater Yellowlegs

Purple Sandpiper

Wilson's Snipe

Bonaparte's Gull

Ring-billed Gull

Herring Gull

Iceland Gull

Glaucous Gull

Great Black-backed Gull

Rock Pigeon

Mourning Dove

Monk Parakeet

Eastern Screech-Owl

Great Horned Owl

Barred Owl

Long-eared Owl

Short-eared Owl

Northern Saw-whet Owl

Rufous Hummingbird *

Belted Kingfisher

Red-headed Woodpecker

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Downy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Eastern Phoebe

Northern Shrike

Blue Jay

American Crow

Fish Crow

Common Raven

Horned Lark

Northern Rough-winged Swallow (Sheez!)

Black-capped Chickadee

Tufted Titmouse

Red-breasted Nuthatch

White-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Carolina Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Gray Catbird

Northern Mockingbird

European Starling

American Pipit

Cedar Waxwing

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-breasted Chat

Eastern Towhee

American Tree Sparrow

Chipping Sparrow

Field Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow (including "Ipswich Sparrow")

Fox Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow