[CT Birds] Southport Survey #137

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Mon Jan 7 11:18:42 EST 2008

Shouthport Survey # 127

The Sky was cloudy with no wind so the water was flat. When the water
is like this it makes observation very easy, no waves and high
contrast. I have found that Horned Grebe numbers go up under these
conditions. The puzzle is: Are the grebes more abundant because of
easier counting, or a preference calm water? Because of this, I have
started recording the water conditions, first with words then with
photos. It seems to me, considering where the birds are seen, that
more birds show up, and I guess from creak mouths and harbors.

Off shore Long-tailed Ducks were flitting about in small groups. Near
to shore there were flotillas of Red-throated Loons and Horned Grebes.

Lately I noticed that the gulls have become more wary around humans.
These days I would see a flock on a beach and once I stopped and set
up my scope a very safe distance away, the birds fly off. Today
someone dropped off a pile of bread at Sassco Beach. All the gulls
were sitting in a raft off shore just looking (do birds drool ?).
Again no first winter Ring-biiled Gulls, and Im. Herring Gulls made
up 7.5% of the birds.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

Fairfield, Sunken Island, South Pine Creak Beach, Sasco Beach,
Southport Harbor and Southport Beach 8:15-9:45

December/ January	27	1
Tide     		L	H	H
Brant   		0	1	5
Canada Goose	450	120	180