[CT Birds] FYI - Canon Digital Camera & Camcorder CCD fail Recall

Lemmon lemmon at snet.net
Mon Jan 7 12:15:50 EST 2008

FYI  from a member of the Vermont Entomology Society

Ron Russotti <radroc2004 at yahoo.com> wrote:  Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:22:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Ron Russotti <radroc2004 at yahoo.com>
VTLEPS at aol.com

Greetings and Happy New Year VES Members!

Just wanted to let you know that I had one of my Canon digital cameras (S1IS) fail before Christmas.  I found out that Canon and other Digital camera manufacturers have a recall on the CCD array (this is what captures the image).
They are fixing them for free.  This includes digital camcorders as well.  Models made in 2004-2005 and early 2006 may be affected.  If you turn on your camera and see a funny image or no image then your CCD is bad.  You will be able to see previous recorded images on your display O.K.   I suggest you look at both links.

This link is for Canon cameras:

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PgComSmModDisplayAct&fcategoryid=223&modelid=9824&keycode=2112&id=29819

This link lists all the cameras affected and what caused the problem.  You may have to scroll up to see the top of the page when this link is opened.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html#cause

I ended up with a refurbished Canon S5IS at no charge since they didn't have parts to fix my original one. Canon was very prompt and paid the shipping.

Regards,

Ron Russotti