[CT Birds] Redpolls and Gray Ghosts

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Jan 7 20:57:21 EST 2008

A few people came to see the Redpolls in my yard this morning  but no luck
with the Hoary Redpoll.  A flock of about 50 was here about  7:30 AM but flushed
and never really came back except for an odd bird or  so.  I suspect this was
weather related, as I didn't see them so often  Christmas week when it was
warm and sunny.   I expect them to be  around more when the weather turns colder
again.
I went to the UCONN area this afternoon looking for the  reported Northern
Shrike, but didn't see him.  Then I headed for the  field off East Street (in
Mansfield)  where Snow Buntings and Horned Larks  were seen.  Nothing there
either when I arrived, but I drove down the  "Windswept Realty"  drive next to the
field hoping for a better look.   When I stopped I immediately saw a large
bird circling the field which turned  out to be a gorgeous Gray Ghost Northern
Harrier.  Had a beautiful look at  a beautiful bird.  I stopped out on East
Street again and saw a flock of  about 20 small light colored birds circling the
field.  They looked like  Snow buntings in the glimpse I got of them in my
binoculars, but they could have  been Horned Larks.  They never landed and after
about 5 circles headed off  to the east.
I headed back to Storrs and Horsebarn Hill and saw the resident  pair of
Red-tails on the way around, first together in a tree, then circling for  me.
There was also another Red-tail in the field south of the horse barn,  apparently
drinking from a puddle.    I went down the dead-end road on  the northwest
side of the hill hoping for Larks or Buntings but no dice.   As I headed back
out, I saw a bird in the marsh down below the road, which flew  up as I stopped
and turned out to be a brown Northern Harrier.  It  flew  to a post on a fence
line along the marsh, and as it landed I noticed  there was another hawk on
the next post.  At first I didn't recognize it,  as it was much lighter colored
than the Harrier, but then it flew from the post  and almost right at me, and
i recognized it as another Gray Ghost!   Apparently those 2 birds are a mated
pair.  Never saw Harriers there  before.  All 3 were beautiful birds and made
it a good day for me.
Don Morgan
Coventry