[CT Birds] Old Lyme and Hammo 1/8/08

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Jan 8 18:38:16 EST 2008

Following CTBirds posts, I stopped at the Lieutenant River this  morning.
South on Rt 156 from I-95 about 1/4 mile to Ferry Lane on the  left.  1st left
off Ferry onto Lieutenant River Lane.  Go past the  stop sign and park in the
lot on the left.  Arrived about 9 and found  the YELLOW BREASTED CHAT in about
half an hour (didn't know just where to  look).   Only quick looks at first -
he was in the brush down over the  bank, to the right of the lot as you face
the marsh.   Seemed mostly  centered around the big pile of leaves that has
been pushed over the bank about  50 feet from the parking lot.   He disappeared
for a while - didn't  see him for a half hour or so, but I decided to go back
and give it one more  try.  Sure enough he popped right up, this time up higher
in the brushy  trees and gave me great unobscured looks for about 10 minutes.
 Seems to be  feeding on bittersweet.
Other birds: Red-tail Hawk, Belted Kingfisher, 15 Hooded  Mergansers on the
river, Lots of assorted sparrows, etc. YBC was a lifer for  me.
Hammonasett, 12:15 - 2:30 PM.   Red Crossbills still  in the Pines at the
extreme west end of the beach, flock flushed and I counted  28-29.   43 Horned
larks in the Nature Center parking lot but no  Longspurs there.  1 Great Blue
Hero in the grass west of the  Nature Center.   1 AMERICAN BITTERN in the marsh
grass  by the East End parking lot.  I got a great look at him after I spotted
him  from the car top boat lot and drove around to the traffic circle.
Pulled  the car up on the bike trail and I was within 30 feet of him for at least
10  minutes.  Had to show him to about 20 walkers with the beautiful weather
today.  A few bad pics of him:
_http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/mntncougar/P1010327.jpg_
(http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/mntncougar/P1010327.jpg)
_http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/mntncougar/P1010337.jpg_
(http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/mntncougar/P1010337.jpg)
_http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/mntncougar/P1010333.jpg_
(http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i292/mntncougar/P1010333.jpg)
East end of the Moraine Trail:  2 Common goldeneye, 18+  Surf Scoters,  @50
Common Mergansers, 2 Common Loons, @8 black-bellied  Plovers, and about 200
assorted Ruddy turnstones, Dunlin and  Sanderlings.   Someone told me there were
3 Lapland Longspurs mixed in  with a flock of Horned Larks back at the west
end so I stopped there.   I  found the Larks, but no Longspurs for me today.
Great weather and some cooperative birds so a nice  day.
Don Morgan,
Coventry