[CT Birds] 153 species reported to date in CT during 2008

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 8 19:01:00 EST 2008

The first 7 days of 2008 has resulted in 151 species being reported in CT.
With Carl's 2 new warblers today we are at 153. Well done on the Nashville
Carl but someone HAS to have had a Common Yellowthroat somewhere in CT in
2008 yes? The list is getting rather long so I'm collapsing it into very
rough taxonomic paragraphs (not meant to be accurate divisions!) to shorten
the email's length. At some point, probably late May, I'll switch to only
species that have NOT been reported yet. Until then I'll continue to list
probabilistic misses to date. This is a work in progress and suggestions for
improvement are welcome (though I may or may not use them). This little
exercise is really working out pretty cool. I don't know if any other state
has done something like this so maybe we are breaking some new ground here
with a statewide Big Year participation.

Dave

Species currently probably/possibly in CT but not yet reported: Blue-winged
Teal, King Eider, Black Scoter, Northern Gannet, Golden Eagle, Clapper Rail,
American Woodcock, Razorbill, Barn Owl, House Wren, Marsh Wren, Brown
Thrasher, Common Yellowthroat, Vesper Sparrow, Sharp-tailed Sparrows, and
Seaside Sparrow. If you have gotten a Barn Owl in 2008 and understandably
you don't want to report it to the list because of the sensitivity of the
location, you can report it to me directly. It will be included in the list
without publishing the location. This is true for any species in a sensitive
location, such as the Rufous Hummingbird that is listed below.

Dave

The current list:

Greater White-fronted Goose, Snow Goose, Brant, Canada Goose, Mute Swan,
Wood Duck, Gadwall, Eurasian Wigeon, American Wigeon, American Black Duck,
Mallard, Northern Pintail, Northern Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Canvasback,
Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup, Common Eider, Surf
Scoter, White-winged Scoter, Long-tailed Duck, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye,

Hooded Merganser, Common Merganser, Red-breasted Merganser, Ruddy Duck

Ring-necked Pheasant, Ruffed Grouse, Wild Turkey

Red-throated Loon, Common Loon, Pied-billed Grebe, Horned Grebe, Red-necked
Grebe

Double-crested Cormorant, Great Cormorant, American Bittern, Great Blue
Heron, Great Egret, Black-crowned Hight-Heron

Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Bald Eagle, Northern Harrier, Sharp-shinned
Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Northern Goshawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk,
Rough-legged Hawk, American Kestrel, Merlin, Peregrine Falcon

Virginia Rail, American Coot, Black-bellied Plover, Killdeer, Greater
Yellowlegs, Ruddy Turnstone, Dunlin, Purple Sandpiper, Sanderling, Wilson's
Snipe

Bonaparte's Gull, Ring-billed Gull, Herring Gull, Iceland Gull, Lesser
Black-backed Gull, Glaucous Gull, Great Black-backed Gull

Rock Pigeon, Mourning Dove, Monk Parakeet

Eastern Screech-Owl, Great Horned Owl, Barred Owl, Long-eared Owl,
Short-eared Owl, Northern Saw-whet Owl

Rufous Hummingbird *, Belted Kingfisher

Red-headed Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker,
Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Pileated Woodpecker

Eastern Phoebe

Northern Shrike

Blue Jay, American Crow, Fish Crow, Common Raven

Horned Lark

Northern Rough-winged Swallow (Sheez!)

Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Red-breasted Nuthatch,
White-breasted Nuthatch, Brown Creeper

Carolina Wren, Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Eastern Bluebird, Hermit
Thrush, American Robin

Gray Catbird, Northern Mockingbird

European Starling, American Pipit

Cedar Waxwing, Bohemian Waxwing

Nashville Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Pine Warbler, Palm Warbler,
Yellow-breasted Chat

Eastern Towhee, American Tree Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow, Field Sparrow,
Savannah Sparrow (including "Ipswich Sparrow"), Fox Sparrow, Song Sparrow,
Lincoln's Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow,

White-throated Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco (including
Oregon Junco), Lapland Longspur, Snow Bunting

Northern Cardinal

Red-winged Blackbird, Rusty Blackbird, Common Grackle, Brown-headed Cowbird,
Baltimore Oriole

Pine Grosbeak, Purple Finch, House Finch, Red Crossbill, White-winged
Crossbill, Common Redpoll, Hoary Redpoll, Pine Siskin, American Goldfinch,
Evening Grosbeak

House Sparrow

* At undisclosed private residence