[CT Birds] A Real Diagnostic Observation ...

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 9 10:42:36 EST 2008

A thought came to me while once again deciphering through the
  60+ Redpolls in my yard, looking for that possible elusive “Hoary”
amongst them.

I remember being taught by a professor in art school a phrase
  by “ Sherlock Holmes ” that would open up a whole new world of
observation to us then young artists - it was:
“ YOU SEE, BUT YOU DO NOT OBSERVE. ”

This above quote came about from another I had just seen quoted from Mr.
Holmes that I believe is a fine example of what we, as bird watchers do
on a daily bases to
  “ speciate ” (sorry-my word) the birds we are observing.

“ We approach the case (bird in question) with absolute blank mind,
which is always an advantage. We had formed no theories. We were simply
there to observe and to draw Inferences (conclusions from facts) from
our observations. “

And my final conclusion was: -
“ There wasn’t a damn Hoary amongst them! “

Paul Carrier