[CT Birds] Game Bird Questions

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 9 12:40:30 EST 2008

My local UPS guy was dropping off a delivery here (Washington,CT) and knowing I have an interest in birds had a bird question for me today (9 Jan). He said a UPS delivery person in the Warren, CT area had taken a photo of a bird he had seen on his route recently. My UPS guy said  the bird looked like a ring-necked pheasant but was "black".  When I was talking to the UPS guy I knew the bird in question  had to be an exotic game bird but was not positive which one it could be. I am thinking now it was likely either a common peafowl or maybe a Japanese green pheasant. Any opinions out there?
Another game bird question I have concerns wild turkeys. I have seen off and on by our home here in Washington, CT a wild turkey with a very pale gray almost white head and feet. The gender of bird was a bit hard to tell, but I suspect it is a young bird what ever it's gender. The bird had normal colored feathers by the way.  Could this  wild turkey be one with a mix of ancestry? Perhaps with some domestic turkey heritage? Sorry I do not a picture of the bird to share.

David Babington
Washington, CT