[CT Birds] Niantic and Old Lyme birding

Sailcarm at aol.com Sailcarm at aol.com
Wed Jan 9 22:37:17 EST 2008

1/9 - at Dodge Pond in Niantic (East Lyme) this afternoon I saw the
following:  2 pied-billed grebes, 45 ring-necked ducks, 2 Am. coots, 2 ruddy ducks, 6
hooded mergansers, 4 buffleheads, 15 mallards, 1 great blue heron, 1 carolina
wren

also, the YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT continues at the same location in Old Lyme, at
the end of Lieutenant River Ln.  Just look for mailbox #17 and the chat is
there in the thicket (3PM).

I also was fortunate to arrive at the DEP headquarters in Old Lyme at 3:30
just as the two PEREGRINE FALCONS were soaring together above the Baldwin Bridge
on the east side.  I was able to watch them for over 10 minutes before they
disappeared behind some trees.

home feeders:  2 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES continue along with 3-4 f. PURPLE
FINCHES.   No PINE SISKINS for several weeks.

Carolyn Cimino
Waterford