[CT Birds] peregrine falcon and great horned owl

Susan.A.Gonzalez at dom.com Susan.A.Gonzalez at dom.com
Fri Jan 11 11:20:19 EST 2008

Yesterday (Jan. 10) we were treated to quite a show in Waterford, Millstone
Point area.  A peregrine falcon was calling out an alarm and alternating
between perching on a power pole and dive-bombing what seemed to be
something in the water or near the shore.  We were able to get such a close
look at the falcon that we could see blood stains on its breast from a
feeding.  Thinking that there must be a reason for this behavior, we
grabbed a scope to take a closer look at the area.  After a couple of
minutes, my keen-eyed colleague, Greg Decker, saw the culprit - a great
horned owl perched in a tree (it’s remarkable how such a large bird can be
virtually invisible in the proper environment).  The peregrine’s persistent
behavior paid off after about an hour  - the owl had suffered enough
harassment and flew off to a quieter spot.  The peregrine, seemingly
satisfied with itself, flew off - presumably to its usual haunts near the
plant.  Millstone was fortunate to have a pair of peregrines on site last
summer, and at least one of the birds is still hanging around.  Anyway, we
were able to get nice long looks at two fabulous birds – very cool indeed!

Susan Gonzalez
Waterford

recipient, any disclosure,  copying, distribution, or use of the
you have received this electronic  transmission in error, please
in error, and delete it.  Thank you.