[CT Birds] hole in tree

Katz1449 at aol.com Katz1449 at aol.com
Fri Jan 11 12:17:29 EST 2008

>From Bev Propen  1/11/08
Orange

 We are in Stowe, Vermont for a few days.  In one of the trees  outside our
window,
is a very freshly drilled (pecked) hole which is about  6"-8" tall and  about
4" wide, in a rectangular shape.  I looked up woodpecker holes  and I believe
that the size and shape would have been made by a pileated  woodpecker.  We
had one here 3 years ago and it was LOUD!  We watched  it peck a tree, and wood
splinters were flying all over.  I haven't seen it  come back to the hole,
but I am keeping vigil.