[CT Birds] Mystery Kingbird

Clay Taylor ctaylor at att.net
Fri Jan 11 23:38:40 EST 2008

All -

I'm writing this from my hotel room in GA, so all I have for reference are
my photos on the laptop, my Nat Geo guide, and whatever I can find online.

OK, with the Warbler Fiasco in mind, can we see ALL the images, not just the
sitting shot and cropped wing shot?   How were the slides scanned / duped,
and are the tones and color balance similar to the original slides?

As for the sighting, WHY was it "unusual"?    What caused you to question
it?

I have a real problem with Cassin's Kingbird - the leaves are showing some
color against the sky, so the image is not totally blown out by the sky
color, but I don't see a hint of yellow on the undersides.   This bird is
showing a "capped" look, and the dark chest is not a function of shadowing,
as the belly and UTCs are definitely lighter, yet are more shielded from the
sun.

I'm actually looking at Cassin's K photos that I shot in CA a month ago, and
on one pose where the bird's head is in shadow, the white of the throat
actually extends up toward the eye and base of the bill, while the cheeks
are as dark as the side of the head.   In the Hammo bird, the throat is not
white enough against the breast / head color, it doesn't extend up toward
the bill, and the cheeks and nape appear to be lighter than the cap, while
Cassin's has a head, nape, and cheeks that are all close in tone.

OK, on to Western K.   Again, where's the yellow?    Western also should
show a post-ocular line that is darker than the crown, nape, etc., and the
whitish of the throat goes past the eye.  This bird does not.

The Nat Geo guide shows that there can be a diffuse breast band on Eastern
Kingbird, and a quick Google Images search of EAKI finds plenty of examples
of this - some breast bands appearing pretty smudgy.   That plus the dark
cap and lighter nape makes the bird appear pretty good for Eastern, with the
apparent lack of the signature white terminal band on the tail to explain.
Mark (or any of the banders out there), when do Kingbirds molt their flight
feathers?    I photographed a Gray Kingbird in TX in November, and it was
just starting to molt both its primaries and tail feathers.  With the August
19 date, this might be a bird that has worn most of the weaker white feather
barbs off the end of its tail (kind of like a Cooper's Hawk in spring vs.
fall) but has yet to molt its flight feathers for the fall (wish I could see
the entire wing shot, but all the feathers appear to be the same age class).

The other mostly black & white kingbirds (Loggerhead and Thick-billed) do
not seem to have the diffuse breast band, and the bills are far too long /
fat for the Hammo bird.

A Fork-tailed Flycatcher with short tail feathers has a phoebe-sized body,
so I won't even go there.

I vote Eastern Kingbird.

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT