[CT Birds] 162 species reported to date in CT during 2008

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 12 07:20:28 EST 2008

We've added Black Scoter, Northern Gannet, Clapper Rail, Razorbill, Barn
Owl, Marsh Wren, Brown Thrasher, Eastern Meadowlark, and Boat-tailed
Grackle. Thanks for the info guys. This brings our total of species reported
in CT in 2008 to 162. We are still missing some things. There HAS to be a
House Wren in CT still, as well as a Common Yellowthroat. Poke around in
those brushy areas, the winter hasn't been hard at all and these two are
almost certainly still here somewhere!

Thanks to Nick Bonomo for pointing out that High McGuinness keeps a year
list for the east end of Long Island (I was aware of that actually and just
forgot. still it isn't the whole state of NY), and to Glenn Williams for
pointing out that Dave Gumbley does this for RI. So we are in good company.

Species currently probably/possibly in CT but not yet reported include:
Tundra Swan, Blue-winged Teal, King Eider, Barrow's Goldeneye, Golden Eagle,
American Woodcock, Black-headed Gull, Black-legged Kittiwake, Snowy Owl,
House Wren, Common Yellowthroat, Vesper Sparrow, Sharp-tailed Sparrows,
Seaside Sparrow, and Dickcissel. Any species in a sensitive location, such
as the Rufous Hummingbird that is listed below, can be reported to me
directly.

Obviously I have expanded the species we still need list to start including
more uncommon/rare winterers but it is time to start thinking in those
terms. As the winter progresses rare/uncommon things will likely be found.
Winter storms sometimes offer pelagic/semi-pelagic things as well. Alcids,
Kittiwakes, and Jaegers are all still being seen nearby.

Dave

The current list:

Greater White-fronted Goose, Snow Goose, Brant, Canada Goose, Mute Swan,
Wood Duck, Gadwall, Eurasian Wigeon, American Wigeon, American Black Duck,
Mallard, Northern Pintail, Northern Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Canvasback,
Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup, Common Eider, Surf
Scoter, White-winged Scoter, Black Scoter, Long-tailed Duck, Bufflehead,
Common Goldeneye,

Hooded Merganser, Common Merganser, Red-breasted Merganser, Ruddy Duck

Ring-necked Pheasant, Ruffed Grouse, Wild Turkey

Red-throated Loon, Common Loon, Pied-billed Grebe, Horned Grebe, Red-necked
Grebe

Northern Gannet, Double-crested Cormorant, Great Cormorant, American
Bittern, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Black-crowned Hight-Heron

Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Bald Eagle, Northern Harrier, Sharp-shinned
Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Northern Goshawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk,
Rough-legged Hawk, American Kestrel, Merlin, Peregrine Falcon

Clapper Rail, Virginia Rail, American Coot, Black-bellied Plover, Killdeer,
Greater Yellowlegs, Ruddy Turnstone, Dunlin, Purple Sandpiper, Sanderling,
Wilson's Snipe

Bonaparte's Gull, Ring-billed Gull, Herring Gull, Iceland Gull, Lesser
Black-backed Gull, Glaucous Gull, Great Black-backed Gull

Razorbill

Rock Pigeon, Mourning Dove, Monk Parakeet

Barn Owl*, Eastern Screech-Owl, Great Horned Owl, Barred Owl, Long-eared
Owl, Short-eared Owl, Northern Saw-whet Owl

Rufous Hummingbird *, Belted Kingfisher

Red-headed Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker,
Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Pileated Woodpecker

Eastern Phoebe

Northern Shrike

Blue Jay, American Crow, Fish Crow, Common Raven

Horned Lark

Northern Rough-winged Swallow (Sheez!)

Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Red-breasted Nuthatch,
White-breasted Nuthatch, Brown Creeper

Carolina Wren, Winter Wren, Marsh Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Eastern Bluebird, Hermit
Thrush, American Robin

Gray Catbird, Northern Mockingbird, Brown Thrasher

European Starling, American Pipit

Cedar Waxwing, Bohemian Waxwing

Nashville Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Pine Warbler, Palm Warbler,
Yellow-breasted Chat

Eastern Towhee, American Tree Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow, Field Sparrow,
Savannah Sparrow (including "Ipswich Sparrow"), Fox Sparrow, Song Sparrow,
Lincoln's Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow,

White-throated Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco (including
Oregon Junco), Lapland Longspur, Snow Bunting

Northern Cardinal

Red-winged Blackbird, Eastern Meadowlark, Rusty Blackbird, Common Grackle,
Boat-tailed Grackle, Brown-headed Cowbird, Baltimore Oriole

Pine Grosbeak, Purple Finch, House Finch, Red Crossbill, White-winged
Crossbill, Common Redpoll, Hoary Redpoll, Pine Siskin, American Goldfinch,
Evening Grosbeak

House Sparrow

* At undisclosed sensitive location