[CT Birds] "mystery" kingbird

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Sat Jan 12 21:09:48 EST 2008

I sent a brief response to James Smith's (as usual) astute questions, but I realized that I didn't send to the whole list.

I think it needs to be noted that this bird was never accepted or identified as a hybrid.

It was submitted to Avian Records Committee of Connecticut as a Cassin's Kingbird and was not accepted as such. That was the only action taken.

In the course of considering photos and a written description provided by the observers, the material was sent to a number of experienced western observers. The possibility of a hybird arose in that process and was discussed in the report in which Cassin's Kingbird was not accepted.

I don't have correspondence and the original report at my fingertips, but I thought it would be prudent to note the speculative nature of the hybrid discussion. Given that Cassin's was not accepted and hybrid origin was deemed "unprovable," the idea that it could in fact have been an Eastern Kingbird has never been ruled out either.

Greg Hanisek
Secretary
Avian Records Committee of Connecticut