[CT Birds] Mystery Kingbird Revealed (Brian Kleinman)

Clay Taylor ctaylor at att.net
Sat Jan 12 23:49:30 EST 2008

Hi all -

To clarify my earlier post - I did not see any hint of yellow on my laptop
monitor, but the accuracy of the slide scan could also contribute to that.
Hence my comments.   Since it sounds like the people that saw the bird are
all in agreement that it showed noticeable yellow underneath, I accept that
as evidence that it was indeed an "unusual" kingbird, and definitely not a
normal Eastern.    I have never seen a "yellowish" Eastern, nor have I seen
a photo of one.

IF an hypothetical WEKI / EAKI hybrid were to show up in CT, mid to late
August is as good a time as any fall date - I saw my only CT Yellow-headed
BB at Hammo in August, and banded a Loggerhead Shrike at Hammo in August.

I don't have any decent WEKI photos with me, so I was trying to see if there
was any difference in primary extension between EAKI and WEKI, Cassin's,
Couch's, etc.   The Mystery Bird clearly has the primary tips just reaching
the end of the undertail coverts, and my Cassin's Kingbird photos from CA
seem to show that the primaries extend just a little past the UTC, but it is
REALLY close.

A second note to the guys with up-to-date Banding Manuals - are there
differences in primary feather formulae between EAKI / WEKI / etc?    The
full image of the open wing shot should be sufficient to show any
differences, and also whether the bird is an adult or immature (usually
immies have differently-shaped primaries than do adults of the same
species).

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT
ctaylor at att.net