[CT Birds] Mystery Kingbird Revealed (Brian Kleinman)

snaketat at cox.net snaketat at cox.net
Sun Jan 13 08:33:43 EST 2008

Sorry the slide scan is not that great.  It was scanned at 1200 dpi (which is as high as my scanner goes), also if I recall I was using 400 speed film which can make the photo a little grainy.  If anyone would like a copy of the original to study I would be glad to send you one.

Now, from memory I recall the Kingbird being very yellow, more so than the photo shows.  I've raised Eastern Kingbirds at Roaring Brook Nature Center and they never had any yellow on their bellies to the extant of this bird.  As I mentioned before I was never satisfied with final ID of this bird.  I researched the hybridization of WEKI/EAKI and could not find much documentation.  I found this interesting article:

http://naturestuff.net/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=29

This bird was also hanging out with a small flock of EAKI's.

Brian

Hi all -

To clarify my earlier post - I did not see any hint of yellow on my laptop
monitor, but the accuracy of the slide scan could also contribute to that.
Hence my comments.   Since it sounds like the people that saw the bird are
all in agreement that it showed noticeable yellow underneath, I accept that
as evidence that it was indeed an "unusual" kingbird, and definitely not a
normal Eastern.    I have never seen a "yellowish" Eastern, nor have I seen
a photo of one.

IF an hypothetical WEKI / EAKI hybrid were to show up in CT, mid to late
August is as good a time as any fall date - I saw my only CT Yellow-headed
BB at Hammo in August, and banded a Loggerhead Shrike at Hammo in August.

I don't have any decent WEKI photos with me, so I was trying to see if there
was any difference in primary extension between EAKI and WEKI, Cassin's,
Couch's, etc.   The Mystery Bird clearly has the primary tips just reaching
the end of the undertail coverts, and my Cassin's Kingbird photos from CA
seem to show that the primaries extend just a little past the UTC, but it is
REALLY close.

A second note to the guys with up-to-date Banding Manuals - are there
differences in primary feather formulae between EAKI / WEKI / etc?    The
full image of the open wing shot should be sufficient to show any
differences, and also whether the bird is an adult or immature (usually
immies have differently-shaped primaries than do adults of the same
species).

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT
ctaylor at att.net