[CT Birds] Mystery Kingbird Revealed

james.bair at snet.net james.bair at snet.net
Sun Jan 13 21:24:23 EST 2008

Dear Clay:

You wrote:

 Since it sounds like the people that saw the bird are
all in agreement that it showed noticeable yellow underneath, I accept that
as evidence that it was indeed an "unusual" kingbird, and definitely not a
normal Eastern.    I have never seen a "yellowish" Eastern, nor have I seen
a photo of one.

Many years ago I worked as a nature counselor at a camp in Massachusetts. We had a couple of annual nesting Eastern Kingbirds on the property. I recall that a few young had a pale yellowish wash, maybe something like a fall Willow Flycatcher. I recall being excited the first time I saw one, then I realized it was hanging around the other kingbirds and was just one of them. Otherwise, it looked just like an Eastern Kingbird--no gray, just black.

Jim B.